REPORTED SPEECH: SAY IT AGAIN, BETTER
Stop memorising arrows. Learn what the speaker is doing - stating, asking, warning, offering, suggesting or requesting - and choose the reporting structure that carries that meaning naturally.
Reported Speech | The logic first
"I am tired."
She said (that) she was tired.
"Are you ready?"
He asked if I was ready.
"Where do you live?"
She asked where I lived.
"Please sit down."
He asked me to sit down.
"Let's leave."
She suggested leaving.
"Shall I help?"
He offered to help.
Neuro-rule: backshift is not an automatic word-replacement machine. Time, viewpoint and whether information is still true can affect the tense. Pronouns, demonstratives and time expressions change only when the new context requires them.
Precision Check | 6 traps
Before transforming sentences, make sure the reporting patterns are secure.
Transformation Arena | 25 challenges
Write a natural reported version. Exact wording can vary, so use the model and explanation to compare meaning and structure rather than treating one sentence as the only possible answer.
Finish the Grammar Lab
For each error, name the cause: reporting verb, verb pattern, word order, backshift, pronoun or time reference.
Where next?
Take your grammar into a new context.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario